Saturday, October 06, 2007

Full Circle


When looking for some interesting/funny photos of Romeo Crennel on the intanet (I spelled it that way purposely) I came across an interesting short little article about Crennel taking the reins of the browns. It's interesting to me for two reasons. One, it reminded me that Butch Davis was signed long enough to be our coach THIS SEASON! Wow! So happy he's at North Carolina. And two it amazed me at how nice Crennel is. His quotes in this article are said with the same degree of sincerity and friendliness of his interviews today. Anyone who checks out the press conferences on http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/ knows this quote: "Hi, how's everybody doing today? I'm doing pretty good, pretty good!" That's how Romeo starts press conferences with a press core that routinely questions him and wonders how long he'll be coaching the Browns. So either Crennel is just resigned to the fact that this is a fickle business and he might be out the door tomorrow, or he agrees with the press cores assessment. Anyway, check out the article. You can't help but root for the guy. I kind of wish he was my Dad...


Crennel in charge of Browns Romeo Crennel, who helped New England win a third Super Bowl in four years as defensive coordinator, is the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns.
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Crennel has signed a five-year contract worth up to $2m in its first season.
The 57-year-old becomes the NFL's sixth black coach.
The others are Lovie Smith (Chicago), Herman Edwards (NY Jets) Tony Dungy (Indianapolis), Dennis Green (Arizona) and Marvin Lewis (Cincinnati).
"The last couple days have been really good for me," said Crennel.
"Along with winning the Super Bowl, being named head coach of the Cleveland Browns is a special accomplishment."
He takes over a Browns team that went just 4-12 last season to fall to 30-66 since rejoining the league in 1999.
Butch Davis, who had been signed through 2007, resigned in November and was replaced by offensive co-ordinator Terry Robiskie for the remaining five games of the season.
"I've been in this league for a little while and worked long and hard to try and get some things done," said Crennel, who stressed fundamentals and teamwork in his address to the media.
"I've been somewhat successful as a position coach. Now I'm able to take the reins of a team and try to run a whole programme.
"It's going to be a big challenge, but I'm looking forward to it."

No comments: